Local Weather

Friday, June 20, 2008

Up the Alaska Highway

With Deb following me in her car, I always checked my rear view mirrow to ensure her two headlights were there! And they were until Teslin where we parted company.

Our lunch stop was at Dora's Cafe in Fireside. She makes the best home-made pies I have ever tasted. Her egg salad sandwiches ($7.95) were large enough to fill us up though. And her prices are very reasonable. Deb said that she stopped at the large log hotel on the way south (in my photo on my drive south with Sue standing in front the log building). They had soup and salad for a whopping $17.95 and her Dad was sure it was canned Primo soup. Apparently Dora and her husband built this hotel in 1982 after the large forest fire ("Fireside") burnt everything in the area. Apparently they don't move too quickly as you can see they haven't finished the siding on the outside of their motel yet.

Gas prices of course rose in the two month period since I drove south. Ft. St John was $1.229 per litre going south, and $1.339 two month later. Ft Nelson was $1.389 going south and $1.449 going north. And finally Liard Hot Springs raised their price from $1.409 going south to $1.589 when I drove north. To be expected though.

Arrived home and my lawn was mowed and mail (lots of it!) sitting on my table. The weather is hot and sunny. Now I have to unpack, wash all the bugs off my truck, and start my summer chores of painting decks, fertilizing lawns, planting flowers ....

No comments: