Local Weather

Sunday, February 26, 2017

Rendezvous 2017


Unfortunately I was feeling under the weather, so shied away from attending the events this year.  Did feel better today though so went down to my two favourite events - the craft fair (so many moose hide and fur crafts made by the first nations people -- a dying art) and the snow sculptures.  Above is Clara Jules, the mayor of Teslin (two hours east of Whitehorse).  I talked to her quite a bit.  She was saying that a lynx hide is going for $4,000.00 this year.  She almost talked me into buying the mitts you see in the centre of the picture.  These are fox fur, original price $450 and I could walk away with them for $350.  Boy was I tempted, they were so well made.    The hats, from left to right are wolverine, lynx and fox.  You wouldn't get cold in any of her products.

I also purchased Chaga tea.  Rich in antioxidants, vitamins and with great healing powers, chaga, a mushroom found in the northern hemisphere on wild birch trees, tastes good, reduces cholesterol and is excellent for the skin.  I may just be a new person after a few cups.


I loved Mexico's snow sculpture.  They build a wall and had people destroy it.  "Never again walls between people and nations".  





This one had Sourdough Sam on one side and was interactive on the other side - just slide your body into the people indentations.  Fun!



Loved this one as well.  There was so much involved in this story.




And a couple more above.  There were a lot of interactive sculptures this year.  I loved that the kids especially got involved in walking though and sliding down sculptures.  Glad I wasn't there for the voting as I wouldn't know which I liked the best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful craft work regarding the hats and mitts mjt