Local Weather

Wednesday, February 08, 2017

La La Land


Saw La La Land last night.  Considering what both Richard Crouse (one of my fave movie critics) and Eli Glasner (CBC movie critic) said, I was anxious to see this movie.  I knew it was a musical, and as I have said before, they are not one of my favourite things, but when the opening scene came and all of the people in the cars on a grid locked highway jumped out of their autos and started singing and dancing, I was worried.

This is a simple love story, girl meets boy, they are both seeking careers of their dreams in Tinsel Town, go through some ups and downs and occasionally sing and dance (I did like their tap dancing, which I have recently been drawn to).  They both had subdued singing voices for which I was glad - no booming musical numbers. I liked the cinematography and was totally surprised at the ending (I'm not telling, you'll have to go and see it yourself) and when I walked out of the theatre I was glad I went (if only to see what all the talk and awards were about).  It was a pleasant couple of hours with no bloodshed, bullets, speeding cars flipping over, children dragged from their parents and forced into slum conditions.  It was a bit of a fantasy, and sometimes that fills the ticket.  I give it 3.5 Stars out of 5.

No comments: