Local Weather

Thursday, February 23, 2017

February 24 ... movies

I'm sick!  I've had a cold for 2 months now.  Sometimes I have a sore throat then it goes away and I feel fine; then I have a cough, then it goes away and I feel fine; then I have ...  well you get the picture.  So I felt absolutely healthy since last Wednesday.  Hooray, I am finally fit.  Not so fast.  On Tuesday I started to get a head cold and by Wednesday I was flat on my back.  I slept for 24 hours.  I awoke this morning and I was able to get out of bed.  My headache was gone, my cough was better, my fever had subsided, my achy body felt stronger.  I think I am on the mend once again although my nose is still bothering me but as the rest of my body seems to be working fine I won't complain.  I am still taking it easy today (and feeling a bit sorry for myself) so this afternoon I streamed a movie.  The one I wanted "Jackie" was not yet available on Apple TV nor was "Fences" so I had two to choose from and I chose Manchester By the Sea. (Now I wish I had chosen Hacksaw Ridge).

In the first 20 minutes I discovered I didn't like nor had any sympathy for the main actor "Lee" then I met his nephew "Patrick".  I didn't like him either.  And so far the story was boring.  Now I have a two hour plus movie with two characters who are not high on my like list.  And the movie went downhill from there.  Yes bad things kept happening  but I didn't care as I didn't like the people.  I cannot believe that Casey Affleck is nominated for Academy Award.  If downcast and glum for two hours is a desired quality for an actor then I guess he should win.  And if grey and boring is a desired quality for best picture, then this one should win.  I didn't wear a watch but I kept pausing it to see how much time was left (always too much for comfort).  I give this movie 1 out of 5 stars, and that is being generous.



Now, having watched an awful movie, I do have to say the other day I watched one that I thoroughly enjoyed even though I didn't quite understand it.  It was a movie I needed to watch with someone who could answer all the questions I had.  Luckily, SR watched it and I dined with him a few days later.  He got it!  And he explained it to me.  Then I really liked it.  And this movie was "Arrival".


Firstly, it is an area I find interesting.  Secondly, I have heard a lot of linguists talking on the radio about how true to life many parts of this movie are.  Amy Adams is an excellent actress and played the part well.  Even though I left the movie with many questions, I liked it.  When discussing the movie with SR and putting the floating pieces of the puzzle in place I really liked it.  An interesting premise and well done.  I never did pause the movie (i.e. look at my watch).  I give this movie 4 out of 5 stars.  I would have given it 5 if they made it easier for me to understand.


No comments: