Local Weather

Thursday, July 14, 2011

Up the Highway


Left my apartment this morning - forever. It will be odd when I visit Edmonton again that I will not be staying there.
Had quite the trip up the highway.
The fog was pretty thick just outside of Edmonton. Those rain clouds finally fell right down to earth.
Besides construction at Taylor BC (remember that show where the whole town was overweight and had to lose a bunch of weight? well that was Taylor). They are rebuilding the road and I had to wait about 1/2 hour to get through. With all the rain that they have had it is amazing that the slide area didn't hit the road as it looked very unstable as I drove by it.
Heard on the radio that Demmit (sp??) had torrential rains last night and the highway was opened but as water has covered the road the speed limit was 50 K. I didn't know where that town was but alas, not 10 minutes later, I was driving slowly through the water along the road.
I expect there truly is a mining boom up north. I has to pass a caravan of about 20 oversized vehicles and their pilot cars; then' on the odd occasion' I had to pass other oversized vehicles. They are carrying trailers for crew as well as massive plastic tanks and some cement things. Passing one is sometimes a challenge. Passing 20 altogether was a larger challenge.
Then the lightning started. I wondered if I should be driving in the lightning. It didn't really matter as there was no place to pull into anyway. I would either be driving in lightning or sitting in my car in lightning. So I drove and wondered.
I then passed through a swarm of some type of bug. They looked like helicopter bugs. I couldn't really tell what type of bug they were, but they were large (almost dragonfly size) and black and when they squished on the windshield they were black and red. And there were millions of them. I could say they blackened the sky but that would not be true. But there were an awful lot of them. It reminded me of the swarm of locusts that ate all the crops on the prairies.
Then the rains came. Fast and hard. The road became a river and it was almost impossible to see out the windshield. I have never seen all the cars pull over onto the side of the road just for rain. But they did today.
So, after a 11-1/2 hour drive, have made it half way home. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

No comments: