Local Weather

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Alaska Highway - Day 2 , Continued

The plus side of leaving so early in the morning is that that is when the moose are active. I must have seen at least six moose, one of the viewings was 'moose perfect' ... a small lake with mountains in the background and a moose standing full side view at the edge of the lake. If it wasn't pouring with rain, and if I wasn't on a curve on a mountain road that had no shoulder to it, and if I was travelling a bit slower than 100 kilometers/hour, I would have taken a picture. As it is, you just have to believe me.



Found the bison on this trip. They were dotting the landscape. I even pulled over to take some photos for Kristin's friend Lauren (what a lovely name!). They didn't seem to mind the weather and were viewed for much of my drive. And it looks like there is no doubt the herd will survive as I saw many little ones (light brown in colour) in the group.


Now, I saw moose, bison, elk (wapiti), deer, and a surprising number of carcasses on the side of the road, but I didn't see bear. This surprised me as I viewed about a dozen on the drive south. Around 11 AM, the bear sitings began. So apparently, bear like to sleep in, especially on dull, rainy days. It was difficult to get a good photo of this guy as he always had his head down eating. When he did lift his head, the grasses were so tall you could hardly see him anyway. The vegetation shows just how much rain this area has had in the last while. (also, sorry for the split photo of the bear - this site is just adding the photos I choose however it wants to)


Every time I saw a bear I wished I could share the experience with Dawson, as he has not yet seen a bear in the wild. Maybe one day we can travel together and view the wildlife.

No comments: