Local Weather

Monday, September 07, 2009

The Hike

Our last day we took a hike up the Grizzly Lake Trail. I didn't look too closely at the details and later found that is was rated Difficult Level. I thought it would just follow the Grizzly Creek - wrong! It was a climb up the mountain at the top of which we ate lunch. In the photo above, you can just see our car park (in a t-shaped light yellow area). Below our group atop Grizzly Ridge eating lunch.
When you're in bear country, it is important to be aware of your surroundings. The trail was littered with tree roots and rock and slate so my eyes were always down to see where my next step would be. I did see bear scat once on the way up, twice on the way down. You know what that means.

At the top, there was another view of the tombstone mountains although Mount Monolith, the highest peak was clouded. It was hot and sunny at the bottom of the trail, and cold and raining at the top.

I did see a grizzly though... on the way home on the Mayo Road. Unfortunately I wasn't driving, so didn't stop to view it.

No comments: