Local Weather

Monday, September 07, 2009

Demptster Highway

Our destination was the Tombstone Campground up the Dempster Highway. I've often seen photos of the Demptster area in the autumn and they were breathtaking. Hoping the our timing was right, we chose the Labour Day weekend to visit the area. We were not disappointed. The colours were vivid. In the photo above you can see the ribbon of a road in the centre of the picture.







The road was good and dry. The campground was 71 km up the Highway and each kilometer was breathtaking. Our eyes weren't big enough to take in all the beauty. I took photos knowing that none would replace actually being here - not only seeing, but smelling and viewing the vastness and as a German touring the north told me, the emotion one feels when in the midst of all of this splendor.
This is grizzly country. I was a bit sceptic as even my son wanted me to call him on my return. At the campground there is a whiteboard with grizzly sightings - Aug 29, grizzly with caribou carcass - Aug 27, grizzly with wolf carcass, - Aug 38 grizzly in campground. But, while we were there we didn't see one grizzly (whew!). That's not to say they didn't see us.

No comments: