Local Weather

Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Yukon Sunrise

Gotta stop taking pictures out this window. You'd think that's all I do at work, but not true. Someone once told me that in the Yukon you really notice the sky. How very true. I was drawn to this window just after 10AM the other morning as the brightness of the sun was blinding us all as it appeared above the horizon.
The good news -- I think we're out of the -35 weather. I was going to write a "cold" fact each day until the weather broke, such as the colder it gets, the louder your boots squeak in the snow, or at -35 and colder, when a plane takes off from the airport it sounds like it is taking off down the street you are walking. I parked my car the other morning and walked 3 blocks to work and my glassed were crusted with ice and my hair and scarf were white with frost. Let me tell you, I won't miss it if it doesn't come back!! But it did hit -20 tonight. I had to pop into a store to pick up my Xmas gift and had to squeeze by a lady in the parking lot. "Sure is a lot warmer" I said to her. "Yes, it feels like spring" she replied. I guess only in the Yukon can you say -20 feels like spring, but it really did!
Good things and bad things are happening to me.
Bad thing: I took a bite of a rancid cookie this afternoon.
Good thing: I won the Christmas Basket from my Hairdresser
Bad thing: My pizza flipped up-side-down onto the kitchen floor when I took it out of the oven
Good thing: My neighbour came in with Christmas baking for me
It's definitely a yin and yang time for me.
Tomorrow is Christmas Eve ... I get to open one present before I go to bed, a custom I have never out-grown. And after feeling them all, I know just the one I'm going to open.
So don't forget, you only have one more day to be "good" before Santa arrives.
!!!Merry Christmas!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Noooooooo - don't stop - I was explaining to Jimmy that this is what it looks like when the sun comes up in Whitehorse. He shivered - LOL - Apparently the whole of Canada was covered in the White Stuff this year - From Sea to Sea as is written in the Peace Tower in Ottawa - We have alot of snow but for the next couple of days Saturday and Sunday it will rain - They first said it would be a downpour but it has changed to Light Rain - Da Boyz are all downstairs with the friggin big screen TV playing war games and one is on the big friggin computer playing the same thing- Jimmy is happy watching Black and White movies on Ted Turners channel (good thing cause there is no more colour on the old 1994 Sony) - I am happy on the computer as usual and the cats are happy that the litter is changed every 2 days - CAUSE THEY WILL NOT venture outside in the cold and the puppies are - well - a pain - a joy - They now go down the sidewalks in Toronto and dump salt and the 2 dogs cant walk in that stuff so we have a few paths built out back thru the snow for them to explore and POOP - but every morning there is something to clean up inside (if you know what I mean) - And what is Carol doing right now - Listening to the best music system you get - Just chillin - MJT (one more thing to say but dont think this blog will carry it)

Anonymous said...

Memories - When we lived in Acton - you would pick me up at the Skyline Hotel - One night when we were driving home to Acton and the sun was just beginning to set - I wrote a poem and embroidered it on a piece of burlap and gave it to Dave for his 21st birthday. The Nugents hung it in their recroom and has been there ever since - I asked Sue about it the last time we got together last January and she phoned when i was not here a couple of weeks ago and said to come pick it up at her moms place. I phoned Sue but only got the answering machine and will phone her tomorrow to find out when I can go and get that wallhanging - Do you remember it. MJT

Anonymous said...

Hey you went to THE CUTEST BLOG - looks great. MJT