Local Weather

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Weather vs Climate

When it is -35 degrees celcuius you begin to wonder about global warming (and why isn't it happening here!?!). I heard today on the radio that we are experiencing "weather" not "climate". What's the difference you may ask. Here's an explanation from the NASA website:

The difference between weather and climate is a measure of time. Weather is what conditions of the atmosphere are over a short period of time, and climate is how the atmosphere "behaves" over relatively long periods of time.

When we talk about climate change, we talk about changes in long-term averages of daily weather. Today, children always hear stories from their parents and grandparents about how snow was always piled up to their waists as they trudged off to school. Children today in most areas of the country haven't experienced those kinds of dreadful snow-packed winters, except for the Northeastern U.S. in January 2005. The change in recent winter snows indicate that the climate has changed since their parents were young.

But it's difficult to think climate when you have to be somewhere at 9 AM and it's -35 outside. This morning I was driving to work and saw the Santa Garbage truck. This is one of the City's garbage trucks that is decorated with over 1,000 Christmas lights and Santa driving. Sitting behind my steering wheel in my full length down coat with a thick scarf wrapped around my neck, ear bags keeping my my ears cozy and big red winter gloves AND being strapped into my seat by the seat belt, I was unable to maneuver myself to grab my camera to share this unique spectacle with you. Sorry, but blame the weather. The exhaust from the vehicles in front of me sits in the air as I drive through it, like driving through a thick fog impairing vision. I only like my vehicle sitting about 4 hours outside before starting it up again, so it doesn't freeze up, so half way through my day I must go out and sit in a frozen car while I run the engine for 10 to 15 minutes. (Tomorrow I'm looking for a spot I was just told about where I can plug in, thus eliminating running the engine, but it's a secret spot so I can't tell you where it is) It could be worse though, as at -36 and colder (not unusual getting to -40 or colder) the seats are as hard as rocks, and the wheels are square for the first five minutes of driving. Yes, I am trying to make my glass half full!!

And to top it off, I received a phone call just before lunch from SR who is currently in HAWAII!!!! He laughed when I told him it was -35. It was 28 above in Hawaii and it was only 8:30 in the morning there. Ah well, I hope he enjoys it.

This weather is predicted to at least Monday, so I'll keep my long underwear handy and think warm thoughts (see glass half full again).

Aloha!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glass half full indeed - I see it - I remember in the 70s when I lived up there - It was JUST LIFE - NOT CLIMATE (BILL CLINTON -SPIT) but just weather and weather changes from year to year. Really - if you consider WEATHER - well, turn off the TV city people - Such performance - You know Carol - In a way - Environmentalism is trying to make itself an idol - a religion - SPIT - SPIT - SPIT - remember the poem about when we get older - OH YES - SPIT - There is nothing new under the sun.