Local Weather

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Movies




Finally, the movies I do want to see are arriving in Whitehorse.  It took a while but A Star is Born arrived.  This is a remake of an old movie with current twists.  Bradley Cooper AND Lady Gaga both excel in their roles as musicians that fall in love, become (or are) famous, and bring their past lives into the present.  I, and all the people I went with, enjoyed it even though it was a very long movie - 2 hours 14 minutes - and I am watching it in the most uncomfortable seating possible, being one of our two movie theatres in Whitehorse, Landmark Cinemas. (And yes, I have written them complaining about this venue.)  I give it 4 out of 5 Stars.


A week later, Bohemian Rhapsody came to town.  If you are a Queen fan and if you are a Freddie Mercury fan, you will absolutely LOVE this movie.  The acting was superb and the music was superb.  The only thing that could have made it better for me would have been a better sound system in the theatre and NOT hearing the thunder roaring from the movie in the attached theatre (which may have been Overlord) overtaking the conversation in my theatre.  The recreation of Live Aid was superb.  I give this movie 5 out of 5 Stars.


And the most current viewing was yesterday with two 4 year olds ... Dr. Seuss' The GRINCH.  We watched the trailers for this movie at home, as, for some reason, the kids think "movies" are scary and do not want to see them.  On the way to the theatre Alanna said, "I don't want to go to the movie", then as we neared the theatre she said "I just want to watch a little bit".  Hmmmmmm, I thought, this will be fun.  As it was, she sat in her seat for the whole 80 minutes glued to the screen.  It ended up being Emerson, who sat on my lap for the whole of the movie.  
This animated movie  stars a grumpy Grinch with his adorable dog Max and a fat loveable reindeer named Fred and cute little Cindy-Lou who brings the child into the plot.  Benedict Cumberbatch is the voice of the Grinch and he does a wonderful job of it - not too gruff - not too scary - but very grumpy and sometimes very bad.  Pharrell Williams narrates the plot and Angela Lansbury is the voice of the Mayor.  I was glad it wasn't any longer than 80 minutes but have to say I enjoyed the animation and the story right up to the happy ending.  I give this movie 3.5 Stars out of 5.


No comments: