Local Weather

Thursday, August 31, 2017

The Glass Castle


We wanted to go to a movie.  The only movie showing that was of interest was The Glass Castle (I have to say not counting the super hero movies of Spiderman and Wonder Woman, both of which I have already seen and both of which were not of too much interest to the others).  It was rated very low - 49% on rotten tomatoes.  But many of the others had read the book, so we went.  My expectations were low even though it starred Brie Larson and Woody Harrelson.  The movie is based on the book of the same name - a true story of Jeannette Wall who grew up in an extremely poor environment with dysfunctional parents and yet carved out what she though was a successful life only to find out that family brought happiness, not all the material things.  Although the movie didn't have extreme highs and lows there were many hidden levels and depths that increased when you started to think about it.  For a movie that was so lowly rated, it seemed everyone was talking about it when they left the theatre.  It was a performance that stayed with you.  Woody Harrelson's performance was exceptional having to move back and forth from loving father to troubled alcoholic and doing it so convincingly.  Should I love him or hate him??  I don't usually read the book AFTER I have seen a movie but with this one I am reading it.  The story was intriguing and the acting was excellent.  For a movie I cannot get out of my head, I give it 4 out of 5 Stars.

No comments: