Local Weather

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fortress Louisbourg

Made it to Cape Breton. Was told NOT to miss the Fortress Louisbourg. It is the largest reconstructed Fortress in North America. I asked how they know what was there in 1744 and apparently the French left a zillion detailed records back in France, so they could recreate the fortress quite accurately. At the gate, you are accosted by a uniformed soldier bearing a weapon who asks who you are, where you come from and why you are here. He wants to know how you could be of use to the fort. Hilary played along with him, but grumpy me just wanted to enter. Another soldier came to listen to theirconversations and as Hilary and the first soldier were talking, I was looking at their heavy uniforms and thinking come summer (oh yeah, it is summer, I meant come hot weather) they are going to swelter so, wanting to enter I said that what I would do for the fortress was, come hot weather, rip off their uniforms so they would be comfortable. The new soldier said "Madame, don't wait for the hot weather, enter and rip off our uniforms now!" And that is how I entered the fortress.


It truly was amazing and if you know your history at all, it is easy to spend the whole day here.

2 comments:

Meandering Michael said...

Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Grumpy: Although you be peevish, your sense of humour still makes me laugh out loud.
P.S. - Was surprised to see Meandering Michael in comments. I have him in my 'favs' and once voted his as a best blog.
Your friend, Happy MJT (remember Grumpy, Happy, Sneezy etc. LOL!)