Local Weather

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Weather - again!

I know I've been ragging on about the weather this summer, but with reason. On the drive home yesterday, I heard on the NEWS (see, it even makes the news reports here) that we are experiencing below normal temperatures due to a cold front that continues to push down from the north. And - the prediction is NO CHANGE for the rest of the summer! Considering I purchased some summer clothes while in Edmonton, and have worn them ONE DAY so far this summer, that news doesn't make me too happy. I'll soon be packing away my summer clothes without wearing most of them once again. Currently, at noon today it is 10 degrees celcius. I discovered today that I am "weather grumpy" due to the fact that my house is cold and I refuse to turn on the heat in June and July (and August, although the end of August sees the end of summer, so I will then feel justified in turning on the heat). I have been cranking up my fireplace though, just to take the chill off and I do have a small heater by my feet in my office, but that's as far as I'll go. Dawson City, our Hawaii of the north, is experiencing this as well, so there is no place you can visit in the Yukon to stay warm unless you are wearing your winter clothing. The news also predicted a VERY COLD WINTER, so I'll just have to get used to the cold, or move south.

Appropriately, I received an email yesterday that included some very true Canadianna thanks for someone named Jeff Foxworthy. Here are some of my favourite:

*If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you
may live in Canada
*If you measure distance in hours you may live in Canada (it is a 22 hour drive from Whitehorse to Edmonton!)
*If you have switched from 'heat' to 'air conditioning' in the same
day and back again, you may live in Canada
*If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a
snowsuit, you may live in Canada
*If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still
winter and road construction, you may live in Canada
*If you find 2 degrees 'a little chilly', you may live in
Canada
Guess I live in Canada!

No comments: