Local Weather

Saturday, July 07, 2007

Alaska Highway

Finished my drive up the Alaska Highway. I have driven this road many, many times and never tire of it. The most scenic portion is between Fort Nelson and Watson Lake - Stone Mountain and Muncho Lake are the highlights. It seems as you turn every corner, it is more picturesque than the one you just travelled. And, of course, the wildlife never cease to amaze. I was alone driving home (without Joan's eyes) but did see a moose with her two babies (would have stopped to take a picture, but had just driven through a cloud as I descended a mountain and didn't think stopping, just as the fog cleared was a wise idea), a black bear, deer, mountain sheep, a caribou, a red fox, a cyote, and buffalo...these sometimes right on the road I travelled.
Here are two of the sheep I captured while driving. Many more were either on the road or clinging to the side of these steep mountains (in Stone Mountain Provincial Park).
The odd lodge is along the route. This one had it's plane parked at the side of the road.
Just another corner turned with amazing scenery.
And the signs don't lie. There are similar signs for caribou, elk and sheep. As well, there are motorhomes on the road. That is the only down-side of travelling the highway, especially when they travel in convoys. The roads can be narrow with little or no shoulders, and curvy and passing them can be a chore. On the plus side, most of them do give you the opportunity to pass and some even pull over in pull-outs if they know you are behind them. This section, just over 500 kilometers bewtween Fort Nelson and Watson Lake takes about 6-1/2 to 7 hours to drive at a steady rate. One day I would like to make this portion of the road my holiday, taking it much slower, and camping along the way. It seems I am always trying to get between Whitehorse and Edmonton, and considering that is over 2,000 kilometers, I don't stop for long along the way.

No comments: