Local Weather

Sunday, December 03, 2017

Coco


Went to see Coco last night.  The theatre was filled with kids which should be no surprise as I also went with two of them (plus another adult).  It is a story about:
1.  The importance of respecting your past (relatives)
2.  Following your dream
with lots of minor themes thrown in - ie forgiving, for one.  I think it is a good depiction of the Mexican custom of the Day of the Dead.  It clearly states the importance of the custom as well as taking you to the "other side" where it lets you know how the dead feel as well.  It follows a little boy's desire to become a musician despite his family's wishes.  If you are not Mexican, parts of it can be slightly confusing, especially since you have to follow back through generations and remember who is who.  Not that difficult I guess for adults, but I wondered if the youngsters understood this.  Although there are a lot of skeletons (especially since you cross over into their land) but in true Pixar fashion they become endearing rather than frightening.  The young girl I went with cried a lot although I am not quite sure which parts she considered sad and I think the boy was just happy he went to a movie.  I don't think it is a good movie for young children as although colourful I'm sure they will not understand it.  The more I think about the movie the more I liked it.  I give it 3.5 Stars.


No comments: