Local Weather

Thursday, October 09, 2014

! Whitehorse !


OK, gotta stop posting pics of the two little ones, but they are so darned cute.  Here they are with their new bibs, a gift which arrived just in time as the drool is now a steady stream, plus at least one of them is learning how to blow bubbles - guess which one!  


Here is a view from my kitchen window.  It has taken me a long time to post this as for almost two weeks there has been inclement weather with the clouds sitting on the top of the mountain.


A close up of the wind turbines on the top of Haeckel Hill.  Yes that white stuff is snow and today, the top is all white.

Now for my reason for writing.  Found out today that I will have the birthday boy here for dinner on Saturday with a dinner request, so went out tonight to pick up the majority of the food.  First of all, Extra Foods is closed as the building was built with asbestos and they are now removing it.  The second food store (and 2nd Loblaws related store) is the Real Canadian Super Store, which is huge and busy but usually has a bit more food than the remaining food stores - Super A (one in Porter Creek and one in Riverdale) and Bigway (in Granger).  I think all three remaining stores have all the same owners.  So, I went to the largest store so I could get everything at one stop.  It is now Thursday night, and Thanksgiving weekend is Saturday, Sunday and Monday.  Usually families will have their turkey dinners on one of those three days.  The largest supermarket had 4 half thawed utility turkeys and about 10 frozen utility turkeys, the largest of which was about 12 pounds.  Most were much smaller.  That's all they had!  For Thanksgiving!  When asked in the meat department, the response was "I think we may be getting more in".  Gee, thanks.  I don't need a big turkey so picked up one of those (I believe sans a leg, oh well drumsticks are over-rated anyway).  Now I needed bread crumbs for stuffing.  "We haven't had any for a while" was the response in the bakery section.   Oh man, only in Whitehorse.  


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Any pics from SR's b-day - nice to chat yesterday. The chicken paprikash was good but not as good as yours. I had just enough generic hungarian paprika for the dish and now will get the real one - SZEGED. mjt

Anonymous said...

Nice cyber tour thru you home the other day but next time I NEED TO SEE THAT AMAZING VIEW thru your kitchen window - WOW - that is beautiful. Funny story about the turkey and dressing. What the..... its one of the busiest times for family get togethers - you would think they would have had a ton of turkeys and bread crumbs - like you said Only In Whitehorse. - mjt

Anonymous said...

...AND ONE MORE THING - I did not know where your cookbook was but after dinner was looking for something in the old Secretary and it fell out - now I can use the real recipe for paprikash next time - mjt