Local Weather

Saturday, August 09, 2014

The Raven


Went to Wal-Mart the other day and parked beside this big fella.  He was sitting on the shopping carts  and making quite the noise.  Ravens amaze me.  They are so big and black and their beaks are so strong and dangerous looking and yet they do not bother us.  I did see a raven with a baby bird in its beak last spring - a sad sight for sure.  They are nest robbers, but we rarely see that.  They remind me of a poem I studied in grade 7- Mr. Roy's class.  I don't remember the name but the raven plucked the bonnie blue eyes of some dead person.  And I just saw a dead raven - something I have never before seen - lying at the base of an electrical pole.  I was walking the dogs and of course they sniffed it out. I phoned Yukon Electric (or should I say Atco) when I got home and told them they should remove this bird from the base of their pole.  I don't know whether or not they did as I haven't walked that way again.  But I have often wondered where the birds go to die. I don't think the base of electrical poles is the answer though.  I am now watching Game of Thrones.  Lots of ravens in that, carrying messages or gathering in the trees caw caw cawing out danger.  Just a few raven thoughts.


No comments: