Local Weather

Tuesday, October 02, 2018

Hungarian Day #1



Ahhhh, Hungarian Day.  It took place at the end of September this year.  I made the trip to Ancaster to attend and decided that this year I would dress up Hungarian-ish.  Now, back in 2016 a huge soccer (or as they say football) competition called the Euro Cup took place in Europe.  It was televised and Hungary was dong very well, especially due to the great work of their Goalie Gábor Ferenc Király. Now he became a very well  known figure as he was 1.  the oldest player to play in the Euro cup and 2.  wearing not the typical soccer kit of the day but baggy grey sweatpants, scuffed at the knees, which he said brought him good luck.  He was quite the character.  
One year mom went to Hungary and brought back a Hungarian soccer jersey for SR.  So, this year I borrowed it, paired it with grey sweatpants with sox pulled high up at the ankles, made a cardboard soccer ball and there I was ... Gábor Király.  
(I also wore a name tag that said, Hello, My Name is ... and also told people that I was representing a famous soccer player, just in case they thought this was normal dress for Yukoners.)


Kayla composed this comparison (above).


Now I am attempting to have people dress up as Hungarians for our next celebration.  The only three for this year were Lisa, with the skirt Debbie bought in Hungary when she was 12 years old, me, and Ava sporting the famous Hungarian blouse, which was almost exactly the same as those worn by Merv & I during our Hippy days... (we loved loved loved the embroidery).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loved to see all the images of your visit - Hungarian Day, Elton John, etc. mjt