Local Weather

Monday, February 02, 2015

Ground Hog Day



Cold again today.  -38C with the windchill.  A good day for shopping though as it seems the majority of people in Whitehorse are now wimps and won't go out in the cold.  Good thing for me as the stores are empty and no line ups when paying.  As it was -31 without counting the windchill, we didn't quite have total ice fog but the exhaust from trucks sometimes made it a little hazy to see through.


Had my camera out going up the Two Mile Hill as per the news " A cow moose and her two calves are still roaming the area of Two Mile Hill in Whitehorse.  The moose was seen crossing the road, several times, on the weekend. The animals caused some traffic confusion on Friday afternoon when they first appeared in the area."  It is now Monday and they are still in the area so I was ready, but saw no moose.  
Notice the absence of traffic, and this was during the lunch hour.  (Wimps??)



Had a couple of lottery tickets to cash in.  One purchased in Edmonton and although Brent's lucky Dime did me no good, I did find his lucky Loonie and scratched my way to $10.00!!!  Decided to cash in at the Gas Station at the edge of the Indian Village (don't tell them I called it that please).  I had to take a picture as it is the only place in Whitehorse that I know of that has metal doors and metal mesh over all the windows.  I felt like I was in Chicago.  Anyway, traded in my two tickets - the second was a Black Jack ticket on which I won a FREE one.  The very friendly person helping me inside (he was so friendly, I may start using this as my regular haunt) told me that two $21,000.00 Black Jack tickets have been sold at this location.  That's top prize!!  And although it was over about a 10 year period, I'm still impressed.  So I went home, scratched my new ticket and WON $23.00.  Looks like I'm on a roll!!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the win. I loved the real cold days in Whitehorse with ice fog. When I lived on Alexander would skip work and people would come over with Grand Marnier for coffee. We called it Grand Marnier Days. We used to walk everywhere in those cold days and loved it. So many more stories to tell. Like the ice on the beards of the guys that would visit. hee hee Angus. mjt