Local Weather

Friday, May 24, 2013

Another 747


I don't always take photos of planes but considering the Whitehorse airport only once had (two) 747's land here - and that was the two Korean 747's that had to land inWhitehorse when the Anchorage airport was closed to air traffic during 9-11 - and this is only the 3rd one that has landed here.  The Nippon Cargo plane was on-route from JFK (New York) to Anchorage when its instruments showed a fire in the cargo hold.  They made an emergency landing here and the fire trucks were called out.  Quite the excitement.  There was no fire, only a malfunction of the instrument that detects a fire (I won't think that is a good thing either!), but the plane has to remain here until technicians from Anchorage could check out the plane, so here it sits.  I do hope to see it take off as the last time a 747 took off it popped all the lights along the runway (our runway is not made wide enough for a plane that size), stirred up quite the sand storm and JUST made it into the air at the VERY end of the runway.


Oh Man !!!  I just missed it!!!  7:25 PM on Friday night this plan took off.  How do I know??  I heard a plane take off and my whole house shook.  I ran upstairs and looked toward the airport and huge billows of smoke were rising into the air.  So, I missed the departure of Nippon Cargo.  So sad.

No comments: