Local Weather

Thursday, September 06, 2012

Marigold Hotel


Saw The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel last night in a theatre (I won't say 'filled' as on a Wednesday night our theatre is never filled, but there WAS a respectable showing) of white haired viewers ... mostly all women but did find 3 men, which we first guessed came to the movie because they were 1.Gay or   2. To hook up with a woman their age... and then their wives (??) joined them.  Yes, this is a movie that attracts the retired crowd.  But look at the stars.  That is what attracted me.  The story is about individual British pensioners allured by an advertisement of a newly refurbished luxury hotel for "the elderly and beautiful" in India.  Of course, when they finally arrive, it is not quite as charming as the advertisement showed but they all do find charm in other ways.  The movie was fun!  We laughed out loud and could definitely relate to a lot of the circumstances that the cast found themselves in or have passed through.  And a lot of the lines in the movie had real meaning for me ... you know, those things you have learned in life but have to be reminded every once in a while, as well as new ones like "everything will be alright in the end, so if it is not alright, it is not yet the end".  I'm not sure how a teenager would rate this movie but I am certain that from middle age and up, you would find it entertaining.  And like my friend pointed out no one was shot with a machine gun or blown up and yet we thoroughly enjoyed it.  I give it 5 Stars.

2 comments:

Teri said...

We as in Dave, myself, Kristin and Kayla went to see it this summer at the Westdale Theatre, which is one of the last old time movie theatres in Hamilton. Among all the movie goers I felt really young!! As for the movie we all loved it, even the girls! We all laughed out loud at parts, fell in love with some of the characters and the scenery and loved the simple but important life messages in it. The DVD is on my wish list for Christmas! I also rate it as 5 stars.
-Teri

Anonymous said...

Just googled to find it in Toronto and lo and behold it is in the old Kingsway Theatre at Bloor and Royal York which I have been wanting to go to for a long time. - mjt