Local Weather

Friday, January 15, 2010

Whitehorse in January

Southern people keep asking me how much light is there now in the Yukon. I never know how to answer except to say that as of December 21st we are getting more and more sunlight each day. I just returned from Ontario. I would wake around 8:00 am and the sky would be light. When I returned home I would wake at 8:30 am and the sky was still dark. The photo above was taken at 11:00 am and as you can see, the sky is light but the sun is still not very high.

I am also asked how cold is it?? Southern Canada was hovering around the 0 degree mark. When I arrived home at 1:00 am on Sunday, it was about -25 degrees celsius and there was a blizzard happening. Apparently that is the first real snowfall we have had since I left in mid December. But as weather goes, it is changing every day and today is about -12 and the snow stopped falling. I also must add that -15 here feels warmer than -7 in Ontario. I love the arid climate.

How much snow do we have?? Well see for yourself. Although it is dry snow - you cannot build a snowman here - the last snowfall was very dense which made shovelling a chore ... not that nice fluffy white stuff.

So that is my update on the Yukon today.

No comments: