Local Weather

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Movie Review

With only 2 double theatres here (one with a hole in the screen!) I often have to wait and wait for a good movie to come. Recently there has been a rash of horror movies (I'll pass thanks) and kids movies (unless it's Shrek or similar, I don't really want to go). I've been waiting for MILK, not yet here and waited and waited for some in the recent past which never did make it here. But in the last two weeks, I did see two movies.

TAKEN: with Liam Neeson. I like Liam. I didn't think this would be a blockbuster movie from the trailers, but thought it would be worth seeing - WRONG. Full of spy killing, cars rolling and bursting into flames action, it is so bad and unrealistic. Liam escapes at least 5 machine guns and hundreds of gun shots and yet can shoot his attacker with one pull of the trigger. The IMdb website gives it 8 of 10 stars. I give it 2 of 10 and that's being generous. Click here to see movie details .

GRAN TORINO: with Clint Eastwood. Again, I like Clint (other than the fact that he has five children from five different women), but I'm not big on muscle cars, so I wasn't expecting too too much from this movie. He played a bigotted old man in a multi-cultural neighbourhood (lots of fuel for the fire). I LOVED the movie. Definitely worth seeing. IMdb gave it 8.5 out of 10 stars. I'd give it 9 of 10. Click here to see movie details .

MILK: Coming soon to a theatre near me - I hope.

No comments: