Local Weather

Saturday, May 24, 2008

Edmonton

I have been working and rushing and driving and getting home to work again. Today, I did my first walking tour of Edmonton. The weather was perfect, sunny with a north wind to keep me cool. The first stop of course was the Molson clock. SR lived here for seven years and all but one of his apartments had a view of the famous Molson's clock (which records the temperature as well). This is right behind my apartment.

Walk to the front of the Molson's brewery and you see the fort. I have only driven past this site which is right on 104th Ave. Not something you usually see in the downtown of a major city.

All of the trees and bushes are now in full bloom. The colours and scents are wonderful. The trees are laden with blossoms with the petals softly falling on the sidewalks.

One thing I always loved about Edmonton was the tree lined streets. Although many of the streets are merely apartment buildings, the trees bring the country into the city and make strolling pleasurable. I first walked along 104th (actually looking for a florist I saw while driving, but obviously was on the wrong street). Then 104 Ave turned into Stony Plain Road. I explored some of the small green side streets and found wonderful old refurbished houses in park-like settings. I felt like knocking on some doors to view the inside, but restrained myself. I then cut over to 102 Avenue to walk back. Stopped at a coffee house along the way for a wee rest, then continued home.


Along the way, to my surprise, I found the house where Spiderman lives.

No comments: