Local Weather

Friday, May 09, 2008

Alaska Highway once again

Hit the road once again to Edmonton. Am renovating my apartment and hopefully sell it.
Above is a scene of a ribbon of Alaska Highway, one of the many spectacular views seen while driving south.

The roads were in good driving condition - all clear of snow although 4 days earlier a blizzard when through the area. The rivers are just beginning to thaw and lots of snow on the mountains, but all in all lovely driving conditions. The only glitch was shortly after leaving Whitehorse, when a grouse crossed the road. I should have zigged but I zagged and consequently drove through a poof of feathers and hoped I didn't have a trophy grouse attached to the grill of my truck (I didn't but did feel bad about the bump-bump).

My driving partner this year was Sue. Here she is at the nicest lodge along the highway. We stopped for home-made pie and coffee, but they only opened their restaurant at certain hours and we didn't want to wait for the dinner hour. Most of the lodges were closed, but we did stop in Toad River where the fellow's "home made pie" meant putting a frozen pie in the oven and serving it. What a disappointment. We did see "Buckshot Betty" there, from Burwash. Loved her name so we gave ourselves names too - "Caribou Carol" and "Snowshoe Sue" (formerly known as "Spruce Grouse Sue").

Gas prices were pretty good considering - most expensive was at Liard Hotsprings - $1.409 / litre, just a bit more than Whitehorse, which was $1.379 / litre when we left. In Edmonton now it is $1.239/litre. Thank heavens I don't drive a big gas guzzler.

As usual, did see a lot of animals ON and beside the road. Saw fox and hawks, coyotes and caribou, buffalo and sheep, goats and deer, and probably some I've forgotten. Didn't see bears or moose though. Probably will on the drive home. One does have to watch each curve in the road as you don't know what will be in your path as you drive.

SR & Dustin made it into town and I now have 1/2 of the living room floor redone. I'm pretty excited about the renovations to my apartment. And just got my internet connected, so hopefully can keep you up to date on the renos.

No comments: