Local Weather

Thursday, January 03, 2019

Mary Poppins Returns


Saw Mary Poppins Returns on New Year's Day.  My favourite movie reviewer gave it 4.5 Stars out of 5.  He seldom gives a movie such a rating so I was excited to see it.  Now, never having seen all of the original movie, I did know it was a musical (not my favourite type of movie) and I did know the basic Mary Poppins' plot.  I was looking forward to the special effects and the acting.  It is a period movie, set in the early to mid 1900's in London England.  The movie starts off with the lamp lighter (or Leery as I learned from the movie) dousing the lamp flames to begin a new day, in song, of course. If is fun to watch the arrival of Mary Poppins and many of her magical moves.  There were a lot of songs, some of which seemed to go on and on.  I tried to follow the words of the songs, but with the English accents I found it difficult at times to understand them and the musical scenes (in my opinion) could have been shorter.  The movie, made for a young audience I suspect, went on for 2 hours and 10 minutes.  I know two of the younger audience members (6 to 8 years old) were squirming in their seats near the end.  I loved the inclusion of Dick Van Dyke.  That old 92 year old (at the time of filming) still has a lot of entertaining spunk.  And it was fun to see Angela Lansbury in her role as balloon lady.  I am glad I saw it.  I felt it was way too long and I am not certain that 4 years olds would enjoy it all that much although the older - yet still under 10 years old - kids said they enjoyed it.  I give it 3.5 out of 5 Stars.

No comments: