Local Weather

Tuesday, May 08, 2018

Infinity Mirrors


 “After all, well, moon is a polka dot, sun is a polka dot, and then, the earth where we live is also a polka dot.” 




I was so lucky.  Lynda was able to get (through hard work as the website was NOT co-operative) tickets to the world famous exhibit Infinity Mirrors.  The only city it was held in Canada was Toronto.  All of the reviews I read were exceptional so I was eager to see her works.


We took the subway to the Art Gallery of Ontario.  The walkway to the street was Dotted!  



The exhibit is made up of Yahoo Kusama's works on the floors and walls plus a number of rooms that you can enter, experience for 20 seconds, then exit.  Above is the first room.


Twenty seconds is longer than you would think.


This was one of my favourite rooms.  One of the balls is actually another room to enter.  I loved the feeling of standing amongst pink balls.


I also liked to experience INFINITY.  This is a difficult concept for me to grasp and in a few of the rooms it was infinite no matter where you looked, up, down, forwards, backwards.  It went on forever.

In some rooms I took photos in others I merely experienced the views.  


Throughout was Yayoi's art work and story.   She was born an avant-garde  artist.  It was interesting to follow her life and works of art as well as visiting each of her "rooms".




In the final section of the exhibit you were able to participate in creating a work of dots.  There were two rooms which were (originally) completely white ... white floors, ceilings, walls, furniture, etc., etc.  On entering the room you were given a small sheet of dots to place wherever you wanted to place them in this room (just not on each other).  As you can see from the photo above, quite a few people had travelled through this room prior to our entrance.


Lynda & I rested on a dotted couch, were going to take a selfie, something I very rarely do, when someone asked in we wanted them to take our pictures.  We did. 


I thought this was interesting.  Looking through a dotted window to a building full of squares.


And a view through this dotted window shows which city we are in.

I so enjoyed this exhibit.  Thank you Lynda for your perseverance in obtaining tickets to this event.






No comments: