Local Weather

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Rendezvous Weekend



This is the big Rendezvous Weekend.  Was going to go down to view the snow carvings yesterday but line dancing got in the way.  So, made the trip this morning (after watching Finland beat the USA in Hockey for the Bronze medal & after watching Manchester United beat Crystal Palace 2-0 [finally they won a game!]).  I was to meet Brooke and SR in Shipyards Park.  Of course, I started doing a plumbing job before leaving which put me a bit behind schedule, got a phone call from downtown, then rushed to get ready.  I know SR told me this morning it was around -30 but when I looked outside it looked warm so grabbed my down coat, ear bags, boots and my Pirates of the Caribbean gloves I got for Xmas about 5 or 6 years ago (remember William you gave them to me??).  Arrived at the park to discover it WAS nearly -30 and the rest of my outerwear was good (I was wearing silk long underwear too) but my fingers FROZE.  Sorry but Pirates of the Caribbean gloves are not made for north of 60 winter warmth.


We watched a bit of the One Dog Pull.  This dog was pulling 400 Pounds.  I believe the winning dog pulled 500 pounds.  Also watched a bit of the Flour Packing contest.  Watched a girl walk - I can't remember how far but she was the leader in distance - with 548 pounds of flour on her back.  Her legs shook like jello with each step.



And one of my favourite things to do is view the snow sculptures.  Above is the Team Yukon sculpture of a Moose in some Trees and below (my fave) is Team Michigan's work of a Pirate (speaking of my gloves) and what was really cool about this was the tiny sculpture inside his telescope was a miniature sculpture of the one about 20 feet directly in front of the pirate.




Now back to my hands.  I complained so much we all went inside the tent where I stayed until the throbbing stopped and the redness lessened.   I trying to take a picture with frozen hands but it turned out a bit blurry - sorry.  What I was impressed with was the northern lights they made out of material hanging from the ceiling.  Cool!








1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet the tie dyed northern lites art looks great at nite. mjt