Local Weather

Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Gravity


How could I NOT see the most talked about, highest grossing film of the century that took over 4 years in the making.  Alfonso Cuarón, the director invented a new way to light, shoot and direct this script co-written with his son.  The story is simple, the special effects are spectacular.  They apparently put all their money into the special effects, necessitating saving money on the actors, as there are only two (and a few dead ones that could be dummies for all I know) and of the 2, one was in it only half the time.  George Clooney is a very likeable character and Sandra Bullock (who was at least fifth in line to star in this role, behind Angelina Jolie and Scarlett Johansson) slipped out of her comedic character to become a doctor struggling for survival.  It was pure entertainment.  I didn't walk out of the theatre mulling over any deep thoughts or philosophies (except to reiterate the fact that I do not want to go into space - sorry Richard Branson, you won't get my $200,000).  I was just entertained, especially visually.  What I liked most was the fact that she had trouble adjusting to gravity, just like Chris Hadfield was saying when he re-entered earth.  Apparently they did have astronauts advising on this film although from many many reports it is not totally accurate, but for me and you is it more than real.  One suggestion, see it on the biggest screen you can (Imax in your area??).  I could see myself enjoying it more if I didn't see it in our little theatre with the small screen, broken seats and my feet stuck to the sticky floor.
I give it 3.5 stars out of 5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats what makes Whitehorse special, small screens, broken seats and sticky floors. Ahhhhh memories - MJT

Anonymous said...

I just knew you would love this movie and I couldn't wait to see your review! I also think I mentioned to you after seeing you it - you probably wouldn't want to go into space. The boys and I want to go see it too.
Jen.