Local Weather

Friday, September 20, 2013

The Quiet



A week ago today I drove up to the cabin, the first time I had been back since the wedding in June. I was meeting a film crew who wanted to scout out this location.  The air was crisp, the sky piercingly blue, and the smell of fall was in the air.  The crew came and went and as I stood alone I had quite forgotten how quiet, quiet can be.  Living in town now there is ALWAYS a noise, either outside or inside - cars, planes, neighbours, electricity; noises that even when you hear them you think it is quiet.  This trip reminded me that it is not.  Quiet is hearing nothing.  Nothing.  Silence.  Something we do not hear very often, yet for 10 years I heard every day and took it for granted.  It always reminds me of the episode of Lucy when she and Ricky moved into the country from their downtown apartment.  They were trying to sleep and finally Lucy said, "the quiet is too loud".  


No comments: