Local Weather

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Skagway Road

The drive to Skagway was very scenic. Above is a portion of the road amongst the wilderness one drives through. It is blueberry season, so one could always see cars on the side of the road while the car's occupants were in the blueberry patch.

The landscape changes, so there is no worry of being bored of only looking at spectacular lake/mountain views.

I stood beside a tourist from DL on the edge of a peaceful lake and smiled and said "beautiful". He looked at me and said "Paradise!" How true.

Every turn was a new pictures. I imagined my son who took the boat onto these lakes this weekend to camp. What a time he must be having. Hope he took sunscreen too! (OK, I'll stop being a mother now.)


How fortunate we are to be able to drive now to Skagway. When I first moved to the Yukon, the only way to reach the town was by train (8 hour ride on the narrow gauge), fly in a small aircraft, or ferry from Haines Alaska. It took a while to blast through the mountains but by the very early '80's the road was complete. This is now a year round road although I tend to stay away during the winter if I can. I did once experience white-out-conditions and white-knuckled it to Skagway. Once was enough for me thank you.

No comments: