Local Weather

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Picked up my Canada Winter Games clothing, badge and handbook today. Not to kick a gift horse in the mouth, but...the coats and vests come in MEN'S sizes ONLY. I'll bet there are more women volunteers than men and of course, since accreditation began on Friday night, there were no extra-small men's sizes left. And, although receiving a Columbia coat is great, I think they forgot the games are being held in Whitehorse, not Vancouver. The coats are shells with no winter lining, great for Spring and Fall. Thank heavens I am not working outside at the games.
Now that I've got that off my chest, I just read in the paper today that the Squash sport that I am working is having problems. The squash courts of our privately owned local gym will be used as well as one court in the school where the offices will be located. The problem - the City of Whitehorse is planning to spend mega dollars to add sports equipment to the gym facility at the new Canada Games Centre, which will be in direct comeptition to the privaely owned gym. The privately owned gym facility, which is closing down their gym for the week to donate courts to the games, is not happy with that decision and may pull out of the games, leaving only one squash court in operation for the games. Oh the joys of operating a national competition in a town of 23,000 people!

No comments: