Local Weather

Monday, May 08, 2017

May 6 & 7, 2017

The week started off with a big shake (earthquake) and ended with a big BANG.  That bang was Emerson who, early Saturday morning fell off his chair and banged his head hard on the floor - so hard that it knocked him out for a few seconds.  Brooke immediately phoned for an ambulance, then phoned me.  Luckily I was awake and jumped into some clothes and drove to their house.  By the time I arrived the ambulance was there and as I jumped out of the truck the paramedic said, "don't worry Gramma, he is up and walking".  He was just coming out of the house at that point and walked over to me.  I knelt down to hug him and he felt like a limp piece of spaghetti in my arms.   

The two paramedics were so nice.  They asked if the kids wanted go inside the ambulance.  Of course they did and they showed them a few things and gave Emerson a cold-pack for his head.  Then it was time for them to leave so they turned on the flashing lights for the kids to see and said Good-bye on the loud speaker when they were at the end of the driveway.  



Above are the kids inside the ambulance.

They did say that Emerson should be checked over by a doctor, so Brooke immediately took him to Emergency.  I stayed home with Alanna.  On their return, it was confirmed that the little one did have a concussion and had to take it easy.  He was still as pale as a sheet, a little woozy on his feet, and his body was still in shock from the trauma.  So, I packed Alanna into my truck and left Brooke to spend some quiet time with Emerson.  
Alanna and I went garage-saling.  Once in a while I wander the garage-sales looking for age appropriate toys for the twins (for my house).  Our last stop was a sale that took place at SR's old school, Hidden Valley Elementary School.  On our way out, we had to stop at the playground where Alanna enjoyed many runs on a very slippery slide.



I do have to say with all this hullaballoo going on in the USA about Obamacare etc. it is so reassuring that we have the system of health care that we have here in Canada.  There is no added worry about whether we can afford to phone an ambulance or go and see a doctor.  We just go and get the medical care we need when we need it.  And thank you to the health care people for their kind professional help.  When an emergency such as this happens we don't need any additional stress.  Thank you Canada!
























All this happened when SR was out of town.  He was at the wedding of his cousin Christie-Anne down Vancouver way (Congratulations Christie-Anne!!).  On Sunday he was home again and brought Emer over to my house for the afternoon.  Alanna was with her Auntie Em at a birthday party and a baby shower.  All that was still too much for Emerson as he still needed quiet time to recover from his concussion.  At the end of the afternoon Alanna was back from the parties and joined us as well.

This was a weekend I hope we don't repeat too often .

No comments: