Local Weather

Wednesday, May 24, 2017

Lawrence Hill


Went to the Kwanlin Dunn Cultural Centre tonight to see Lawrence Hill.  He was to give a reading from his newest novel The Illegal.  Luckily it was held at this venue as the crowd was quite large.  Different from the last time I saw him a couple of years ago.  At that time it was held in the basement of the Museum - a much much smaller venue.


In case you cannot tell from the photo I took, here is another photo of the author.  This is the same author that wrote Book of Negroes.  I thoroughly enjoyed that novel and am expecting, especially from his readings, that I will thoroughly enjoy this one as well. 



He is also up here doing research for an as yet unwritten novel about the blacks that came north in 1942-3 to help build the Alaska Highway.    He will apparently be in Dawson City (yes I know, SR, that Dawson City is not on the Alaska Highway - and by the way, so does Lawrence as I told him what you said) for 3 months at the Pierre Burton House as resident writer, in January, February and March of next year.  That should give him an idea of the cold conditions they faced building the road.



Leaving the centre I couldn't help but stop to look at the clay cliffs on the other side of the Yukon River.  They were bathed in a golden light and looked quite stunning, so I thought I would share that with you.

No comments: