Local Weather

Monday, June 13, 2011

Beringia Centre

Love these Yukon Days. Another venue to enter free of charge. And the only centre in Whitehorse with a 5 Star rating for their powder room, and let me add, I have never been in such nice washrooms (I should have taken a photo to show you). You can check powder rooms across Canada at http://www.powderroom.ca/en/ . But I digress.

So we visited exhibits about Beringia and the life and climate at that time.
Above, Kristin is using an adl adl, a type of spear used to hunt animals for food. She practiced with the adl adl and then decided that she would let someone else spear the animal, she would cook it!

LinkDuring that time, there were giant bears, giant beavers, giant sloths and of course wooly mammoths. Lots and lots of very large animals.

Above you can see how far our spears travelled. We even missed the rabbits, let alone the larger mammals in the back!

1 comment:

Meandering Michael said...

I love throwing the atlatls!