Local Weather

Friday, March 02, 2007

Now, don't expect me to keep up my blog the way I have in the last week. I am just trying to keep you all up to date with what's happening during the 2007 Canada Winter Games - the biggest event ever to be held in Whitehorse. Today, I drove my house guest down to her venue, and grabbed my camera to take some pictures around town. This snow sculpture is just outside the railway station at the foot of Main Street (the picture doesn't do it justice - it is fabulous - the dogs circle around the mountain of snow).
Atco Place is the huge tent set up for opening and closing ceremonies. It is located on 2nd Avenue across from Northern Elegance and the plaza with the liquor store. In between ceremonies, it is a cultural and entertainment center (in fact, I'm going to see a blues band there tonight). As you can see, there are two new snow sculptures in progress in the front of the tent.
And this in the Canada Games Centre, which houses 2 ice rinks, the pool, and the multi-purpose room for a variety of sports including badminton and judo. I tried taking a picture of the flame, but with the wind chill it was -41 degrees C, and having to park a distance from the centre, I wasn't risking frostbite just for a picture!

No comments: