Local Weather

Saturday, February 10, 2007

When I think of winter now, I think of Arizona, New Mexico, Costa Rica...I know, I'm getting old and always wonder what I'm doing in the freezing cold. I left speed skating to go and watch the race start of the Yukon Quest. As the oval is next to the Yukon River, I stopped off there to take some pictures. This is looking towards the dam - the reason why the river doesn't freeze completely in the winter anymore. Then I decided watching Manchester United play Charlton Athletic (which I taped this morning), in front of my fireplace while sipping my hot coffee was a better idea than standing in a crowd watching dogs mushing in the cold (sorry cousin Frank), so here I am at home. If you do want to keep up with the Quest, click here. Once again, my cousin is running the race. He's only missed one year's race since conception in 1984, which was last year, but his son Saul entered that race. If you are CBC listeners, last Monday, Sheilagh Rogers interviewed Frank and Saul on Sounds Like Canada. Here is what CBC radio said about the interview:

Every year, mushers in the North embark on a marathon race between Whitehorse and Fairbanks with their dogsled teams. The Yukon Quest is a true test of endurance - a fact no one knows better than Frank Turner. He's run every race since 1984 - except one. Last year, Frank took a break and his son Saul ran their Muktuk Adventure kennel dogs in the race. It turns out, that was a good year to miss. Shelagh Rogers talks with Frank and Saul Turner about one of the most dramatic races in past history - and the road that lies ahead this year.

Good Luck Frank!



Saying hello to my new vehicle, here it is parked in front of the SS Klondike, a paddlewheeler which used to ply the Yukon River, and is now a National Historic Site in Canada. If you're interested in learning more about the SS Klondike, click here.

No comments: