Local Weather

Friday, December 16, 2016

Still Cold

Yesterday, when the cold was suppose to break, it was -32°C.  I had very little food in the house.  Was waiting for it to warm up before I went to the grocery store, but that apparently was not going to happen, so I donned my warmest coat and boots and went downtown.  


It must be Christmas.  The grocery store ran out of two of the ingredients on my list.  So I had to go to another store.  When in the other store, there was a sign on a few of their shelves and on the fridge door that read "due to conditions beyond our control, we apologize for not having all of our usual products"; i.e. no butter, no cream cheese.  I was chatting to the young girl at the check out counter about the high price of food.  She said she was from Iqaluit where a bag of grapes cost $18 and a cucumber costs $8.  I stopped complaining.
 I went back to my car with only one more stop to make and ALL of my doors were frozen shut.  I couldn't get into my car.  I looked in the window at all the food I purchased at the first grocery store and wondered how long it would last before it was all frozen.   I tried and tried my locks and finally was able to unlock the passenger door.  I climbed over to the drivers side and just drove home.


When it is below -31°C my car gives up on registering the temperature.  It just says "---C" which means "you really should be home in front of the fireplace with a hot chocolate and a good book instead of trying to read the outside temperature from inside this truck".


I did brave one more trip out in the late afternoon (but I didn't lock my car) and whom should I see but Garbage Truck Santa.  I guess as he is from the North Pole, -30+ weather will not keep him inside and it doesn't.  He was HO HO HO'ing at the foot of Main Street.

No comments: