Local Weather

Thursday, November 29, 2012

Winter again


Our first cold snap is just beginning.  Driving to dance class yesterday, my car registered -25C.  This was a good reminder of things to do to get ready for the cold weather.  1.  Methyl hydrate in the gas tank on the next fill   2.  Put cardboard in front of my radiator  3.  attach the extension cord to truck so I can plug in the block heater if need be 4.  carry extra warm clothes in truck in case of breakdown - of course I already have my winter tires on and winter-grade oil in the truck.


When it is cold, the sky is beautiful.  The above photo is driving into town along the Hamilton Road extension.  I always marvel at the clear crisp colours.


 Then along the South Access beside the Yukon River the fog rises off the water that is  not yet frozen giving the river a mystical appearance.

Just outside the window of the dance studio we watched the young children playing in a snow heap, oblivious of the dropping temperatures.  Oh to be young again.

On the way home I was reminded of what the dropping temperatures mean to a vehicle - seats as hard as rocks and square tires.

I had to smile this morning as I drove into town.  The temperature dropped a bit more to -31C and there was a Raven sitting on the top of the only lamppost that was lit.  What they do is sit on the light sensors blocking any light from entering and consequently the light goes on.  There the raven will sit to absorb any heat that is coming off the electrical light.  Smart smart birds.

No comments: