Local Weather

Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Skiff of Snow

As I ALWAYS said, the first skiff of snow that stays on the ground comes on October 11th.  How do I know this?  It is SR's birthday of course.  The snow began falling late this afternoon.  By tomorrow we should have 1 to 2 centimetres - that is a light dusting of snow - or, as we northerners say, a skiff. And, I do believe that the snow is here to stay.  I went to the dictionary so I could prove to those that live in Ontario that SKIFF is an actual word, but what I found was:  "small boat"  --- no mention of a "dusting" so I went to another dictionary, then another dictionary ...  well, you get the picture.  Then, thank you Bill Casselman for this: (and P.S., I love the title "rare and delightful"; oh and PPS:  we northerners don't use that saying)


RARE and DELIGHTFUL SNOW WORDS
Skiff
Canadian Prairie Saying: Ain’t but a skiff of snow to dust a gopher’s arsehole.
A skiff of snow in Manitoba and the Canadian West is a light snowfall, a gentle powdery dusting of snow. It is probable that early Scottish immigrants to western Canada brought the word with them, for it is still a familiar dialect word in Scotland where it means a light wind, a misty rain or a modest flurry of snow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good one. I am just listening in the background to Joni singing Coming in from the Cold - from my pod on my blog and while doing that decided to look at your blog. Lovely moment. - now Emelia is playing - I am once AGAIN in Heaven. Love Joni - MJT