Local Weather

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

A Beary Snowy Morning

Today I was a bit behind schedule as Lily's Dad came home and slept at my house. After coffee and a chat, he departed for work and once again Lily stayed home with Gran-Carol. After a shower I donned coat, touque, boots and mitts, grabbed a leash and doggie bags (didn't have to call Lily as her middle name is "Velcro") and out we went - through the backyard gate, across the road and to our regular trails. Here we saw what looked like something red that was dragged through the snow. Lily was sniffing like crazy, her tail disappearing between her legs. Odd, I thought. Then two people appeared and were looking at something in the snow. I joined them and found that not 1/2 hour earlier, a black bear had been shot and dragged up the hill by conservation officers. Lily was sniffing the blood and was extremely skittish. The photo above is taken from where the bear was shot then dragged to the rocks at the beginning of the trail. The photo below is from the other side of the rocks to my backyard. Little did I know what was happening while I was merrily taking a shower.


I finally leashed Lily as she tends to bolt when scared. Thanks SR for sleeping at my house. A half an hour earlier, Lily & I would have been walking right where the bear was travelling.

And now that I think about it, Lily did seem uncertain (and scared - tail pasted between her legs) the other day when we were walking the trails. As she very apparently was not enjoying her walk, we turned and took another trail. Perhaps the bear was nearby at that time, unbeknownst to me.

No comments: