Local Weather

Saturday, October 23, 2010

The Dirty Dozen

I know this can get to be too much, what with chemicals on our food (i.e. The New Dirty Dozen), chemicals in our household cleaning products, chemicals on our household furnishings (i.e. your rugs, drapes, couches), but the latest one that I have been viewing is in our everyday cosmetics.

Here is an exerpt from the Suzuki Foundation:

"Some of the ingredients in beauty products aren't that pretty. U.S. researchers report that one in eight of the 82,000 ingredients used in personal care products are industrial chemicals, including carcinogens, pesticides, reproductive toxins, and hormone disruptors...."

It goes on to list what they call the Dirty Dozen, a list of 12 chemicals, why they are used and what harmful effects they can possibly have on humans (which I took into my washroom and found that all the products I have contain at least one of them!!!!!). To read the findings of this foundation, Click Here . They also suggest a sensible approach to stocking your shelves with safer products ... take the list to the store when replenishing your stock and choose wisely.

Brooke also showed me this site, cosmetics data base, in which you can research the products you currently use. We were surprised to find that just because a product is very very expensive, cost doesn't necessarily raise the safety factor.

I know I sound like doom and gloom, but I believe it is better to be informed so we can make better choices for ourselves, our families and our planet.

No comments: