Local Weather

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Matala

We took a ferry to Iraklion. Although I've been to Crete in the past, I do not recall Iraklion. Now I know why ... it is large, noisey, dirty, smelly ... need I go on?? So we rented a car and drove to Matala. If you want to know why I chose Matala, this web site about says it all - click here



If you own a boat and are looking to name it, here is one you probably haven't thought of.


The beach at Matala is lovely - although filled with tourists you can still find a good spot to lounge. And if you are thirsty there are bars lining the water front. The caves are now a major tourist attraction rather than merely sleeping accommodation for young travellers. They were fun to explore though and I can certainly see the attraction. The sign now says Roman Burial Ground, but there are no signs of dead Romans in the caves.


Yes Joni, the scratchy rock n roll is now replaced by CD players, the Mermaid Cafe is no more and the starry dome in lessened by the city lights, but all in all I'm glad I came to see what I missed in the early '70's.
Oh yeah, we did find a left over hippie whose face is leathered by the sun and who plays old Cream and Jim Morrison and the Doors kind of music from his house - very very loud (an nostalgic). Perfect on an evening when the wind is in from Africa!
(In case you don't know, the above references come from Joni Mitchell's "Carey")

No comments: